I started by slicing half an avocado for garnishing, and then put the remainder in a bowl to mash. Squirt some lemon juice on your avocado slices and put in a container with the pits for later. Now for the soup.
- 3 ripe avocados (put in brown paper bag for a few days prior)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice (or to taste)
- 1 onion (2 if small) finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- sprinkle of red pepper chili flakes
- two tablespoons of dill oil
- 2 table spoons of olive oil
- 1 oz flour
- 900 ml chicken or vegetable stock
- 150 ml skim non-fat milk
- Salt and pepper
- 150ml sour cream (optional)
Cut the avocados all around vertically, twist and open. Remove pits, and scoop out the fleshy inside. Place into the bowl from earlier. Squeeze in remaining lemon juice, and set aside.
In a large pot, heat olive oil, and cook onions, garlic, and chilli flakes until onions are soft. Reduce heat to medium and slowly add flour, stirring constantly for about two minutes.
Add stock, and milk, stirring all the time bring to a boil. Add avocado and seasoning, then reduce heat and simmer on low for 3 minutes. Blend, until liquid is smooth. Return soup to sauce pan and simmer over low heat. If you can let it simmer longer, that would be best. If you want to add the sour cream here is where you should.
Place into small bowls and garnish with the avocado slices, and cut up cherry tomatoes or cucumbers. Spoon out a small amount of dill oil and place in the centre of the bowl.
Voila, perfect soup for spring 🙂