I’ve really been on a quinoa kick these days! I love this recipe because it’s a lot like spaghetti, but without all the quilt. Quinoa keeps you fuller longer; it is higher in fiber, and protein and therefore you don’t burn it up as quick. This is a great midweek dinner because it essentially cooks its self and it makes a pretty big batch, so it’s perfect for lunch leftovers.
I used the PC organic brand of quinoa, but you could use any kind really. If you are not using the kind from the superstore measure out about 1 cup and just be sure to note whether your quinoa needs rinsing or soaking.
Read more for this delicious recipe and to find out 5 reasons why quinoa is better!
Shortcut Recipe: Ground Chicken Quinoa Skillet
Recipe adapted from 5$ Dinners.com
- 1 package of extra lean ground chicken
- 1 can of no salt added diced tomatoes (not drained)
- 1 med onion – diced
- 1 green pepper -diced
- 1 cup of sliced mushrooms
- 1/4 cup hot salsa
- Spices for meat (1 tsp garlic, 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper, 1-1/2 tsp chili powder, 1/4 onion powder, dash of salt and pepper)
- 1 package of organic quinoa (pre-soaked) I used the PC brand from the Superstore.
- 1-2 tablespoon of Parmesan cheese and more for garnish.
Remove meat from package and place in a large pot on high heat; cover half the meat with water and add spices and brown.
Add tomatoes (with juice), quinoa, veggies to the ground chicken mixture and simmer (uncovered) for about 25 minutes. If water evaporates too quickly cover the pot.
Remove from heat, stir in 1 to 1 1/2 tablespoons of Parmesan cheese and set aside for 5 minutes. Quinoa should be soft.
Serve hot and sprinkle with remaining parmesan cheese and parsley.
This recipe is just the basics! Feel free to explore other ingredients like zucchini, broccoli or other veggies, spices and cheeses!
Happy Monday Blog Reader!