Recently I received the most adorable little package from President’s choice that was stocked to the brim with brunch essentials, as well as a bunch of their new home products. If y’all aren’t familiar with the home items from President’s Choice you are miss-ing OUT. OMG they have cutest things and they are also SUPER affordable. Okay I totally got sidetracked. We were talking about brunch essentials weren’t we?
I was one of a few select bloggers across the country to test out these new products (before they even hit the shelves) you can imagine my excitement as you all know I’m pretty much OBSESSED with food (it was the reason I started blogging and all).
President’s Choice is always upping their game and coming up with new products. This summer, I had the amazing opportunity to visit some of their factories here in Nova Scotia to learn more about the food production process (see that previous post here), and honestly having spent just a few days with the PC Crew I have even more respect for the brand. The level of care and consideration that goes into each and every aspect of their products is just amazing (they are also just super lovely humans to boot).
Having tested some of these items this summer I was SUPER excited to get in the kitchen and experiment with them. So let’s talk about what you see above. We have the PC Brioche Loaf I mean it’s the softest squishiest bread you ever did see, and it’s an absolute dream to make french toast with. As well, you’ll note their organic 100% compostable coffee pods. I MEAN did I die and go to heaven?? This is everything I’ve been needing in my life and more. Opening the sealed package that contains the pods you immediately know that this is good coffee. Holy mackerel, it’s so deliciously fragrant you basically want to dive into the box. If you suffer from k-cup guilt worry no more because President’s Choice has got your back. Now y’all need to please go out and buy them so they NEVER ever discontinue them – you’d really be doing me a solid.
In addition, I also sampled the honey and sea salt bacon, and guys this bacon is legit. You can tell just by handling it, that it’s quality meat. While cooking this bacon my boyfriend immediately stock his head in the kitchen and was like “does that bacon have something sweet in it?”
Have you ever experienced the harmony of a sweet and salty bacon good gravy it’s what all brunch goals are made of!
And last but certainly not least, we NEED to talk about the 5 year old cheddar. If you’ve been looking for that European level quality of cheese you will find it in this 5 year old cheddar . When I tell it’s the best crumbly old cheddar you’ve tasted from a grocery it’s the best old cheddar you’ll taste from a grocery.
Now that I’ve sufficiently made you hungry lol let’s chat about these recipes!
French Toast has a special place in my heart because it always reminds me of my stepdad. Like most dads he’s the king of breakfast foods, and whenever he was in charge of feeding us (breakfast, lunch or dinner) we could always rely on having the BEST French Toast. It was kind of his claim to fame, and because he’s basically the sweetest human being we (there’s three of us) would always drive him crazy while he made it for us. It is any wonder my mother did most of the cooking?? LOL
Regardless, if even the most culinaryly challenged dads can do it! So you can you, and I promise you don’t need to get crazy with it. You just need a couple basic ingredients.
FRENCH TOAST RECIPE
1. Beat together egg, milk, cinnamon, vanilla and a pinch of salt.
2. Heat a lightly oiled skillet or griddle over medium heat.
3. Soak the PC Brioche bread slices in egg mixture for 20 second on each side, or until thoroughly coated. Cook bread until both sides are lightly browned and crisp. Serve hot (and with maple syrup) OR like I did here with icing sugar and the PC Pomegranates. THAT COME FROZEN so you can use them at ANYTIME, and you don’t need to fuss with soaking them or peeling them or whatever the heck people do to get those precious little seeds out. lol
The PC Frozen Pomegranates are such a game changer in terms of convenience, but don’t they just look beautiful a top of french toast? I think they are just so perfect for any of your holiday brunch recipes. You could also add them to your cocktails (or anything really they just look so festive don’t they?).
Because I was feeling SUPER adventurous I decided to make two recipes. And let’s be real I REALLY wanted to try the cheese and the bacon too, so I decided to make a Monte Cristo Sandwich, and guys I impressed myself this sandwich was SO good. Have you ever had a Monte Cristo Sandwich it’s basically like if a grilled cheese and french toast had a baby lol You make your sandwich like you would a grilled cheese, but instead of putting butter on the outside you soak the bread in an egg wash like french toast. It’s SO delicious and the sweet and salty bacon with the savory cheese topped with a bit of powdered sugar was JUST SO GOOD. You have to try it for yourself!
MONTE CRISTO SANDWICH RECIPE
1. Cook bacon (however you like to do so) I love baking bacon on a rack on a cookie sheet because the grease drips off and I somehow feel this is better for me, but it also helps to prevent your entire house from smelling like bacon. AND you can make a lot of it, so it’s great for hosting guests or when you have an entire family to feed. For the purpose of taking some photos I decided to do it on the stove top.
2. Thinly cut the cheese. Try not to eat it all before you assemble the sandwich. I DARE YOU.
3. Top one slice of bread with the cheese + bacon and top with cheese again (helps to keep the sandwich together when everything gets all metly.
4. Assemble the sandwich.
5. In a small bowl, beat the egg with some milk (about a tbs) until well combined.
6. Heat a small skillet over med heat. Add butter and swirl it around. Once it’s all melted and starting to bubble, dip the sandwich quickly in the egg, making sure to coat the entire thing. Add sandwich to skillet and cook until golden brown on one side, Flip and cook the other side. Serve warm with powdered sugar!
Whether you like your french toast sweet (recipe #1), or savory (recipe #2) these French Toast recipes are sure to please. And wouldn’t they make the best holiday brunch options? I love how the President’s Choice items make it so easy to have what looks and tastes like an elaborate meal. And let’s be real I basically want to put pomegranates on everything now that it’s SO easy.