This recipe is great for a quick lunch, or simply add a nice sized salad to make it into a dinner recipe. When I was in junior and senior high, this was my go-to meal for after school. My mom would always have these ingredients on hand, and I just used the counter top toaster oven to make myself something to hold me over until dinner time. I’ve tweaked the recipe a little bit since my school days, but I think you’ll find that this recipe is little more fancy than pizza sauce from a can, and cheese from a bag.
These ingredients are probably in your pantry already, and so you can throw this together pretty quick. Once you get the basics you can try adding different vegetables like mushrooms, green pepper, olives, or even artichokes and sun-dried tomatoes. Play around with the recipe, this is just the basics to get you started. I prefer this quick pizza recipe over frozen pizza because they are often full of preservatives and nitrates which can actually instigate migraines for those are prone. Who knew?
- Whole Wheat Pita Bread
- Olive oil
- Corn meal
- Mozzarella cheese
- Plum tomatoes
- Pre-heat oven
- Brush olive oil over one side of the flat pita bread, and sprinkle with corn meal to lightly coat.
- Flip the pita bread over and place on a pizza pan.
- Top with mozzarella cheese (I saw this in NYC when I was at Gramaldi’s, they started with the cheese. Interesting right?)
- Then add garlic, plum tomatoes and oregano (or additional toppings like OLIVES).
- Add more cheese if desired.
- Bake in the oven for roughly 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted. If you like a browned texture to your cheese put in on broil for the last few minutes; this will cook just the top of your pizza)
- Cut into four pieces, and enjoy
Tip: Marinate the plum tomatoes with fresh garlic and oregano in a container in the fridge, and so it’s ready to go when you are.